Cold and flu season is upon us! Whether you’re an adult or a child, the cold and flu can float through the workplace as fast as they can through the schoolyard. So what can you do about it? The answer is simple – lots!
The best advice is avoiding things that compromise your immune system, while providing what your body needs to keep it strong:
- Limiting your exposure is a given! We’ve been taught since childhood to wash your hands frequently and avoid touching your face.
- Remove white foods. At the first sign of illness remove all white food from your diet. This includes grains, sugars, milk, cheese, dairy, sweeteners, etc. These foods suppress your immune function and slow the body’s healing ability.
- REST! A difficult concept for some of us to comprehend, as our lives, work, and responsibilities don’t stop when we want them to. However, not getting extra rest will prolong symptoms and increase the likelihood of a secondary infection.
- Drink lots of liquids. Herbal teas, lemon water, ginger tea, and even honey water can be good for you. These will help flush your system and keep you hydrated.
- Support your immune system with nutritional supplements and herbs. Garlic, cinnamon, and Echinacea are all helpful in battling your illness.